Thursday, May 27, 2010

To worry, or not to worry...that is the question!

Summer is suppose to be a time of rejuvenation, a time to relax while enjoying the warmth of the sun and the energy it provides us with. Especially for students, the summer is a time to leave those school woes behind and bask in many well deserved adventures and memories alongside some neglected ol' pals. But why is it, that even with school finished for the year, and with May temperatures already reaching 35 degrees C. many people ( at least in my life, including myself) can't find the time or reason to relax. I know this blog is supposed to be one of the uplifting kind, filled with funny anecdotes and lighthearted stories and thoughts, but, I need to bring attention to this matter and the fact that we're all in it together! I promise to end on positive note...or at least, I hope to. ;)

Life moves so quickly. Even during those long, drawn out days; you may not realize it at that moment, but your life is passing you by. The old saying comes to mind, "Don't forget to stop and smell the roses," and personally, I often do forget. It seems I'm always in rush, or in some kind of panic over money, time, friends, family or just situations that I create in my head because I apparently have nothing better to do. LOL I think we as a society, don't take the time to breathe, to feel fully without criticism, or to think-through situations. When we feel a wave anxiety come overhead, we panic. We forget at that moment, to ask questions:
What has caused me to react this way?
Why should/would this affect me?
What can I do right now to help this situation?
These questions can provide some relief, but are often forgotten about.

Anxiety usually rears its ugly head after a build up of suppressed emotions that can no longer stay in hiding. There is too much pressure and criticism put on emotional release. THIS IS WHO WE ARE! We are people, humans, beings that are meant to feel pain when you scrape your knee, the betrayal of people you thought were your friends, the sadness when someone close to you passes away. These are all normal reactions and emotions. We have to be less critical of ourselves and of each other. If we dealt these emotions when they first surfaced perhaps we wouldn't have a full blown release at work or in the middle of dinner. Even so, we should be there for one another, not judge each other and think, "God, what a drama queen/cry baby!" Be gentle and have a little empathy.

One way of combating this "disorder" is in your breath. A great, big 'ol belly breath! I know we've all heard that ten full breaths will calm your heart rate.....and it's true. So do it! We take breathing for granted. Its automatic; we do it without thinking. But actually try to be mindful of how you breathe, of how your body wants to naturally breathe. Perhaps it needs a really deep, full grab of air, or maybe a few stable short breaths will do it...just tap in, be aware, and respect yourself.

The thing about life is that things always seem to work out! I'm not saying to NOT take any responsibility for your life/actions, but to place trust in your family, friends and most importantly yourself. We're often to proud or ashamed to ask for help or guidance, but to no surprise if we, ourselves, were ever called upon, we would help without a second thought.

Looking over this entry I realize, I need to take my own advice! haha These thoughts and tips are nothing new to any of us. But sometimes we all need a little reminder from time to time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment