Sunday, February 21, 2010

Long nights, No patience= Cabbies!

As much as I hate to share this, especially if my mother is checking up on me, but recently I've been indulging in the fine and quick services of the taxi cab companies of Toronto. Lazy, sure. Lack of patience for the streetcar, indeed. But I think now, I've actually come to the realization that I just enjoy the company of the cab driver. I have been blessed to have some of the nicest, funniest, and deep thinking cabbies.

After impromptu motown with Rae on thursday night we grabbed a cab and he played Sam Cooke for me all the way home! Him and I were both singing out loud, boppin' around...it was amazing!

The other night after work at 3:30am (which is when I usually take a cab home, because the clientele on the Queen streetcar at that hour isn't the classiest or cleanest) I had a cabbie who, without even being asked a question, decided to burst out and break down what a good relationship is, how I should never settle, the key elements to a lasting relationship....now of course at this point I ask how long he's been with his girlfriend, to which I receive a response of, "Girlfriend?! Shit no, I'm way too smart to be tied down by some crazy woman!." end of quote.

I had another cab driver a few weeks ago who seemed very anti-social, had a furrow brow, and didn't say a word. Until about 15 minutes in, and three blocks away from my house when he abruptly broke the silence with an earth shattering belly laugh followed by why he loves Valentine's Day and all the wild women, escapades and memories he has taken from that day. He told me this in a very non-creepy manner, don't be too concerned. He turned out to be the jolliest of men!

It just goes to show, Amanda Marshall was right....everybody DOES have a story! But I suppose I could meet new people for free and swap stories , rather than pay $40 for a cab to hear them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment