Monday, February 15, 2010

Mo' Motown Please!


Late last summer, while I came up to the city to visit Julie one weekend, we stumbled upon a special event that has since left me with a fever; a fever for Motown!


I'm sure most of you have either heard me rave about it, felt my excitement through Facebook updates, or have actually braved the dance floor of Sneaky Dee's alongside me for this one evening. It has to be said, that Shadows of Motown is my current 'bread n butter' of life. The anticipation of finally receiving the date for this once a month sensation just about kills me. I find myself constantly flipping through the pages of NOW magazine and the Eye Weekly, as well checking their website every other day in hopes that they will have announced the next date so that I can make sure I book this night off work.


"Is it worth the loss of money?", I'm sure you re asking yourselves right now. My only reply to this ridiculous question is "HELL YES!".


Something happens to people on the dance floor when Motown is played. It's as if you re in costume, you can do anything or be anyone you want to be without the fear of looking like a fool. The bigger the movements, the wilder the outfits, the sweatier you are.....the better!


A lot of people question what Motown is? They seem unsure if they've ever even heard a Motown song. Motown is all that great soul and R n'B from the late 60s and 70s. Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, The Temptations...the list goes on.


I could talk about this special night, and special genre of music for hours. But what I am trying to say within this ramble is, if you're looking to let loose, shake those hips, and for one night travel back to a time when music was original, and felt in the soul...you need to check up on Shadows of Motown at Sneaky Dee's, Toronto. Make sure you look for me, I'll be the one on stage, with a bottle of Mill St. in hand doing the "mashed potato". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment